Year 8 Boys District Cup Final

STACS 1-1 Kings Norton Boys 1 AET (KNB win 3-1 on penalties)

In what was a very gusty and wet afternoon at Wast Hills, two evenly matched teams took to the final, both demonstrating ability and passion. Due to the conditions, the toss of a coin and winning choice of playing sides to start played a vital part in the game. Unfortunately we lost the toss and went with the wind first half. During this half, STACS played some very good football, with lots of one touch and two touch passing, playing in and around the opposition’s box. Despite dominating the first half, the first goal looked like it wasn’t going to come, with us hitting the post and the bar, and forcing a number of good saves from their goalkeeper. The goal finally came however a few minutes before the break, and it was a brilliantly taken goal by Harrison Burley curling the ball into the far side of the net with his weaker foot. Despite further dominance it was only 1-0 at the break.

In the second half, it was clear that the weather conditions were having a huge effect on the game. In a game that STACS had dominated early on, KNB dominated the second, working our goalkeeper on numerous occasions, as well as hitting the woodwork. Our boys were starting to tire as the weather conditions were continuously getting worse, with us working against the wind. Despite battling through and seemingly weathering the storm, KNB finally got their equaliser, scoring directly from a corner – no doubt the wind helping it get over the line. A cruel way to concede.

And so that was that for the second half and extra-time began. Again, the first part of the extra-time we were with the wind, and were much better. We created a couple of half chances and also had a great chance with Nico Gordon just shooting wide. In the second half of extra-time we dealt with the wind much better and there was little threat from KNB. The game finished at 1-1 and penalties were required. The penalties seemed to be a little bit too much for us and their goalkeeper made good saves throughout the shootout. On KNB’s 5th penalty, it was stroked into the corner meaning no come back for STACS. KNB were victors. A really cruel way to finish what has been an amazing season. Well done to all the boys who took part!

Man of the Match: Aidan Higgins

Mr Pickard
Teacher of Physical Education

Other Sports News Articles...